For our Sunday experiment we decided to go for dinner instead of breakfast. Last night we had a little extra time on our hands, and decided to try out a recipe that we’ve had our eye on for quite some time now. And believe me, we’re glad we tried it. This tomato and cheddar pie is as divine in your mouth as it looks in the picture, definitely worth the preparation and the wait. So, without further ado, here is the mouth watering recipe. & Bon Appetit!
Tomato and Cheddar Pie
With its biscuity buttermilk crust, this rustic pie is our new summertime staple. Let the pie cool for at least one hour before serving.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 pounds large ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/4” slices
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar (8-9 ounces)
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan (1/2 ounce)
- 1 scallion, trimmed, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornmeal
Use a 9”-diameter glass or ceramic pie dish
- Whisk first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in butter until coarse meal forms and some small lumps remain. Stir in buttermilk and knead gently with your hands until dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Lay tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with 2 layers of paper towels. Place another 2 layers of paper towels on top of tomatoes. Let stand for 30 minutes to drain.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to an 11” round. Remove top layer of plastic wrap. Invert dough onto pie dish. Carefully peel off plastic wrap.
- Toss both cheeses in a medium bowl until evenly incorporated. Reserve 1/4 cup of cheese mixture. Whisk scallion, mayonnaise, dill, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over bottom of crust, then top with 1/2 cup cheese mixture. Arrange 1/3 of tomatoes over cheese, overlapping as needed. Spread half of mayonnaise mixture (about 1/3 cup) over. Repeat layering with 1 cup of cheese mixture, 1/2 of remaining tomato slices, and remaining mayonnaise mixture. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese mixture over, then remaining tomato slices. Sprinkle with reserved 1/4 cup cheese mixture. Fold overhanging crust up and over edges of tomato slices.
- Bake pie until crust is golden and cheese is golden brown, 35-40 minutes (check crust halfway and tent with foil if it’s getting too dark). Let pie cool at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours before slicing and serving.
One serving contains:
Calories (kcal) 629.1
%Calories from Fat 64.5
Fat (g) 45.1
Saturated Fat (g) 21.4
Cholesterol (mg) 108.3
Carbohydrates (g) 28.9
Dietary Fiber (g) 1.4
Total Sugars (g) 5.3
Net Carbs (g) 27.5
Protein (g) 23.8
Sodium (mg) 967.8